Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Recipe 2: Pomegranate Sorbet in Orange Bowls

I have been wanting to try to make orange bowls as a fancy treat for a while. Today I finally tried it. I did not follow any specific recipe and basically just made it up.



I started by cutting an orange in half. I then scooped out the orange flesh with a spoon. I think there are more effective kitchen utensils made for this kind of thing, but it was not too hard to do with a spoon and then my hands to get the lasts of the orange out of the rind.



Next I made pomegranate sorbet using a bullet blender. I used 1 cup of frozen pomegranates and 1/2 cup of Cranberry Raspberry juice. The pomeganates do not really add much flavor, but the frozen aspect made the juice become a nice sorbet consistency fast. Next time I think I will do it with the blueberries or raspberries I have stocked in the freezer from super sales.



Once the sorbet was made I spooned it into the orange bowls. It tasted great from the bowls, as the peel added an orange flavor to it. It certainly made it an unique sorbet flavor, as well as quite beautiful and gourmet looking.

Overall this was a surprisingly easy recipe. I knew the sorbet would be easy, as I have made it with the bullet before, although never with frozen pomegranates. I really thought making the orange bowls would be hard. I was delighted to find that it did take about 10 minutes to make two bowls out of one orange, but it was actually quite easy. The key, though, is to have chosen an orange that can easily stand upright on both ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment