Thursday, January 14, 2010

Recipe 6: Angel Hair Pasta with Two Cheeses

I set out to make a three cheese pasta using another recipe from The Frugal Gourmet by Jeff Smith. The name of the recipe is Angel Hair Pasta with Broccoli and Three Cheeses. However, I could not find any Mizithra cheese, so it ended up only be a two cheese pasta. In the end I modified a lot of the recipe (mostly omitting stuff) and the result is little like the actual recipe.

Basically I just used Swiss Cheese (a little less than called for because I accidentally did not buy enough), Romano cheese (way more than called for to make up for the Swiss and missing third cheese), whipping cream, and angel hair pasta. I did not add the garlic, oil, onion, or broccoli. I just did not like the idea of garlic and onion with my cheese. Garlic probably would not have been bad, but I am not much into onions and especially did not like the idea of them with cheese. I do like broccoli with cheese, but omitted it because my brother does not like having it mixed in with pasta and he will probably eat the leftovers.



It turned out pretty good tasting as well as fast and easy to make the way I did. The overall recipe is not too hard either, but requires way more steps. It did end up a little too cheesy. Partially because I do not think I cooked enough pasta (I kind of randomly guessed what half a pound of it was since the box had a whole pound). The other thing was I ended up way overcompensating with the Romano. Honestly, though, even if done as it is supposed to be done I think it would be too cheesy without the broccoli. The 1/2 pound of broccoli is really what would make the amount of cheese called for be just right or maybe even not enough. I might make this again, but will definitely pay more attention to slowly adding the cheese to find the right amount.

No comments:

Post a Comment